Thursday, January 15, 2009

Opportunity

Sometimes my kids just surprise the heck out me. Sometimes is funny. Sometimes it saddens me. I think, "didn't I teach them better than this"? or "Oh wow they learned that from me, oops". Other times I just do not know what to say and just have to walk away and think on it. I have been thinking on this for a few days now.

Some times bed times are crazy. They usually watch some Nick or Disney in their room before going to sleep. If I want them to go to bead early or I NEED them to go to bed early for my sanity and their well being, I will say pick a movie and you can watch it in your room. The other night they were just wound up. It was a movie in your room night.

About 30 minutes into the movie was the first warning...

"You guys need to lay down and watch the movie."

A little bit later...

"Tommy, Timmy, if it was time to play you would not be in bed"

A little more later...

"Alright guys, if I come in here again I am turning your movie off".

Ten minutes later I was maturely stomping into their room saying (gently of course) "OK, goodnight, movie off, you won't obey".

This then started the "NO NO NO we will be good. One more chance. Please PLEase PLEASE" barrage of begging. Then came the tears and then a full blown fit. Of course I was completely calm and composed through it all, you know.


I then again so maturely, yelled at my 8 year old...

"If you don't stop this right now I am gonna have Daddy take this TV out of your room for good".

He immediately stop the crying. Paused and yelled back...

"Fine, but tell him to replace it with a bigger one"!

I did not know what to say. He heard that opportunity and took it. They will not be getting a bigger TV. And I need to think through my threats a little better.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Bless your heart. Hang in there, Mom!