Friday, March 21, 2008

Oh my goodness!!!

I have one question. How does someone so tiny do so much damage? Anyone?...Anyone?...

Here is the story. I am up stairs cleaning out drawers. Timmy is down stairs watching Backyardigans. All seems peaceful and calm. Then I hear CRASH!! THUD!! and a kinda POOF!! all in 3 seconds. I yell "what was that"? Then I hear these words..."Oh my Goodness, mom we have a problem". That is not what you want to hear come out of a four year old's mouth.

So what could it have been. The typical options would be, he dropped the milk, or knocked over the toy bucket, or ran into the screen door and took it off the track (happens alot in warmer weather) or even knocked the shelf off the wall while diving off the stairs into a pile of pillows. These are common causes of loud noises in my house.

Okay, so, back to my post crash noise question "what was that"? And his reply was..."the fireplace fell out of the wall. Let me repeat...THE FIREPLACE FELL OUT OF THE WALL!!!

I was just kinda dumb founded. What could that mean. Some ash blew out, he knocked a door off? So I get up to see what happened, and he meant what he said. The fireplace fell out of the wall. There was insulation and ash and the whole front portion of my firplace on the floor of my family room.

As soon as I made eye contact with Timmy he said "well, you see mom, I was...." the rest is still a blur. I just had to laugh. In his mind he had a completely logical explanation. It had to do with his sword and bad guys and his imaginary friend Matt.

A mess like this just had to be looked at for a bit. We had PB&J's for lunch. All while gazing at our lovely mess. I just laughed every time I really thought about it. Only one of my children could accomplish this.

The fire place was not to hard to fix and the ash and stuff just vacuumed up. Two things were learned because of this situation. Timmy will not be using the fireplace doors as a "sword holder" anymore, and I should clean the ash out of my fire place more often.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, I am so sorry for the mess! I can only imagine the picture... Glad you could laugh about it. :-)

Ruth Hubbard said...

So, my favorite part of this story is the part where your son begins to explain what happened. Well, that and the fact you had a sandwich before figuring out what to do next. :)